1/2 Photos of Spinach, Ricotta and Tofu (Optional) Stuffed Shells (Oamc)
1 hr 5 mins
Natalia 3's Note:
These are delicious! I created this recipe because I wanted shells that were a little healthier than what was already posted. Use only Ricotta or (or only tofu) if preferred, doubling the quantity. This makes a LOT of shells (around 30). If you half it, just use one large egg or two small. Everything else is straightforward. Freezes well (instructions below).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (12 ounce) box jumbo pasta shells (about 32 shells)
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
- 16 ounces firm tofu, drained well
- 16 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded parmesan cheese, split
- 1 small onions or 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 (25 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce (or more if you love spaghetti sauce)
- 1Cook pasta shells according to box directions, drain and rinse with cool water. Set aside.
- 2Sautee onions and garlic over medium, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent (careful not to burn garlic). Take off of heat and allow to cool off a bit.
- 3Mash together spinach, tofu, Ricotta cheese, 1 cup Parmesan cheese, eggs, onions and garlic, s&p and nutmeg.
- 4Fill shells generously, about a heaping tablespoon each. You can modify as you go.
- 5***TO FREEZE:*** Put shells on a baking sheet so that they are not touching. Freeze uncovered for about 20 minutes, then toss into a freezer bag. This way they will not stick together.
- 6To bake shells right away: Preheat oven to 350. Spread a few tablespoons spaghetti sauce on the bottom of a large casserole. Put shells in, filling-side up. Top with remaining sauce and parmesan cheese. Cook covered for 30 minutes and uncovered for 5 or 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Pasta Shells Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta Shells Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach, Ricotta and Tofu (Optional) Stuffed Shells (Oamc)
Serving Size: 1 (334 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 513.3
- Calories from Fat 176
- Total Fat 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 119.9 mg
- Sodium 1868.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 33.8 g