1 hr 30 mins
Rick Rodgers, Celebrations 101
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons dried Italian breadcrumbs
- 2/3 cup arborio rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 (10 ounce) boxes frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 12 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crumbled dried rosemary
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese or 1 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1Position rack in the center of the oven; preheat to 325°; lightly oil a 13x9 inch baking dish; sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- 2Tilt dish to coat with the crumbs, and tap out the excess.
- 3Bring a medium saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat; add in the rice and decrease heat to medium.
- 4Cook, uncovered, until the rice is tender (about 16 minutes); drain well and set aside.
- 5Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add in the onions.
- 6Stir/saute 6 minutes or until the onions are tender.
- 7Add in the garlic; stir until it gives off its aroma, about 1 minute.
- 8Add in the spinach; cook, stirring often, just to evaporate any remaining liquid, about 3 minutes; set mixture aside.
- 9In a big bowl, whisk the eggs, basil, rosemary, salt, and pepper together; add in the rice, spinach/onion mixture, 1 cup of parmesan cheese, and the cheddar cheese; mix well.
- 10Spread mixture in the baking dish; sprinkle remaining parmesan on top.
- 11Bake until the torta feels firm when pressed in the center, about 45 minutes.
- 12Cool completely in the dish; cut the torta horizontally into 6 equal strips, then vertically into 9 strips to make 54 pieces.
- 13Arrange on a serving platter; serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach-Rice Torta Squares
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.6
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 232.4 mg
- Sodium 665.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 18.3 g