Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Delicious! Good vegetarian fare, or side dish!
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup milk
- 1 lb grated longhorn cheese or 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese (I only use 1/2 lb.)
- 1⁄3 cup oil or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Cook and drain spinach.
- Combine all ingredients except breadcrumbs.
- Oil a large casserole and sprinkle 3/4 cup breadcrumbs in bottom.
- Pour mixture into casserole and sprinkle top with remaining breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 350* for about 1 hour.
- Check with knife.
- Turn out onto serving platter and enjoy!
What a creamy texture the rice has in this dish. I changed it a bit... used fresh baby spinach leaves, reduced the amount of eggs and cheese. It is a wonderful recipe...comfort food really on a cold day. Thanks for sharing! Barb
A very tasty vegetarian dish which we really enjoyed as a main course. As we love spinach, I pretty much doubled the spinach, using both a packet of frozen spinach thawed and thoroughly squeezed to remove all the liquid and baby spinach leaves and I added minced garlic to the onions and sage to the herbs. I didn't measure the herbs - rarely do! - and I've been using a fabulous rosemary and sage blend in lots of recipes ever since I bought it in a mini grinder. Because I wanted some textural variation I also added some chopped cashews. Thank you for a great spinach recipe and a very adaptable recipe, Sharon, certainly one I'll happily make again. Next time, I'll add a few more vegetables such as carrots and zucchini, just to get in some more vegetables, but I'll still be wanting the spinach to be the predominant vegetable. Made for Everyday is a Holiday!
I made a half amount and used 1/4 lb of cheese. I found that to be plenty and it trimmed back on the fat by a very good bit. Love brown rice and this is an excellent way to use it. Served with two small veggie sausage patties and fresh snow peas the made a great tasting and very substantial meal