This is a great recipe if you like spinach and feta cheese. The times I've made it for other people, they really enjoyed this unusual rice dish. I used white rice in this recipe that was freshly made for the recipe, but I think that leftover rice would work too. I also used Kraft Parmesan cheese, but think that freshly grated Parmesan would be even better.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 2 cups long-grain rice, cooked
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 large egg whites
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and saute for 3 minutes.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper.
- Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until well blended.
- Bring mixture to a simmer and cook for 1 minute or until slightly thick, stirring constantly.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in the cooked rice, feta cheese, egg, egg whites and spinach.
- Pour mixture into a 9 inch pie plate coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over pie.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until set.
- Broil for 2 minutes or until pie is golden brown.