Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
From a local community cookbook. Great side-dish.
Make and share this Spinach Rice Fantastic recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (16 ounce) box long grain and wild rice blend
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cook rice mix according to package directions.
- Press spinach between paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Combine rice, spinach, and all remaining ingredients.
- Spoon into a lightly sprayed or greased shallow casserole dish or baking pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350F for 35 to 40 minutes, or until heated through.
- NOTE: You can assemble this casserole ahead of time and refrigerate.
- Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, then bake.
This was very good. The seasonings in the rice mix worked well with the spinach. I used only about half the amount of cheese, and it seemed plenty cheesy. Also, I used a 6 oz. box of the rice mix; I'm not sure if the recipe amount is a typo; I've never seen a 16 oz. box of the rice mix.
I used some leftover white rice, fresh spinach fried in leftover bacon grease, mozz and feta cheese.