Recipe by Pepper Monkey
this is a yummy way to serve rice for a special occasion or an everyday meal. i really enjoy this casserole in the fall with baked chicken.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canpeeled Italian-style tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- preheat oven to 350.
- Saute onion and garlic until tender.
- add undrained tomatoes and basil and bring to a boil.
- reduce heat and simmer for about 3-5 minutes.
- stir in cooked rice, spinach and half of the swiss cheese, salt and pepper.
- grease 2 quart casserole dish and place mixture inches.
- bake 35-45 minutes until it is completely heated.
- sprinkle remainder of cheese and the sesame seeds on top and serve.