Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
this is a yummy way to serve rice for a special occasion or an everyday meal. i really enjoy this casserole in the fall with baked chicken.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canpeeled Italian-style tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- preheat oven to 350.
- Saute onion and garlic until tender.
- add undrained tomatoes and basil and bring to a boil.
- reduce heat and simmer for about 3-5 minutes.
- stir in cooked rice, spinach and half of the swiss cheese, salt and pepper.
- grease 2 quart casserole dish and place mixture inches.
- bake 35-45 minutes until it is completely heated.
- sprinkle remainder of cheese and the sesame seeds on top and serve.
Lovely, easy, healthy casserole and it makes a pretty, colorful presentaion looking like it took longer to fix - my kind of recipe. Thanks!
My b/f's sister served something like this at Easter and I just loved it. Unfortunately this didn't quite live up to my memory, but then I did alter it a bit. It keeps well, improves with sitting and is versatile. So 4 stars. I used fresh tomatoes as I had some that needed to be used and only half the cheese. I also doubled the rice as the mixture as stated didn't fill the casserole dish. That made enough for 9 serves. One night I added a couple of beaten eggs and fried it up. That was really nice. Very rambling review.... I will make again with canned tomatoes - needed more moisture than that just from fresh.