Recipe by Barb G.
This very good recipe comes from Better homes and Gardens
Top Review by Charlee #2
I just finished making this dish for dinner. I give it only 3 stars because I thought it was a little bland. Perhaps extra spices wuold kick it up a notch. Will try it again, with a bit of doctoring.
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/3 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canpeeled Italian-style tomatoes, cut up
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon basil, crushed
- 8 ounces tofu, drained (fresh bean curd)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese (2 ounces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan cook the onion and garlic in hot oil until onion is tender but not brown.
- Add undrained tomatoes, and oregano or basil.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Simmer,uncovered, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place tofu in a food processer bowl or blender container.
- Cover and process or blend until smooth.
- Add tomatoes to mixture.
- Stir in cooked rice, spinach, half of the swiss cheese, the salt and pepper.
- Grease a 2 Quart rectangular baking dish.
- Spoon mixture into casserole.
- Bake, uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and toasted sesame seeds.