1/1 Photo of Spinach-Rice Casserole
1 hr 5 mins
Barb Gertz's Note:
This very good recipe comes from Better homes and Gardens
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/3 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can peeled Italian-style tomatoes, cut up
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon basil, crushed
- 8 ounces tofu, drained (fresh bean curd)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese (2 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1In a large saucepan cook the onion and garlic in hot oil until onion is tender but not brown.
- 2Add undrained tomatoes, and oregano or basil.
- 3Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- 4Simmer,uncovered, about 3 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, place tofu in a food processer bowl or blender container.
- 6Cover and process or blend until smooth.
- 7Add tomatoes to mixture.
- 8Stir in cooked rice, spinach, half of the swiss cheese, the salt and pepper.
- 9Grease a 2 Quart rectangular baking dish.
- 10Spoon mixture into casserole.
- 11Bake, uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes.
- 12Sprinkle with remaining cheese and toasted sesame seeds.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach-Rice Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (366 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 296.3
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 12.4 mg
- Sodium 602.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 13.9 g