Recipe by stef5
o.k. kids--if anyone's a vegetarian out there, give this one a whirl. it's monster tasty! also, very good for you-low in fat, high protein! *a note on the basil-if you've got fresh-use it! i go about 1/4 cup if fresh (chiffonade it)
Top Review by Dominick & Amanda
I loved this recipe. I made a few changes and it came out wonderful. I didn't use any tofu. Instead I used half a can of vegetable broth. I used white rice cause I didn't have any brown. I also used more garlic (because I love it). I think I may add broccoli and mushrooms next time I make this. It was great though! A fun recipe to play with.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 8 ounces soft tofu, drained
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed & drained
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- salt & pepper
- sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, cook onion & garlic till tender in oil-do not brown. Add UNDRAINED tomatoes & oregano & basil. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered about 3 minute.
- Meanwhile, place tofu in food processor or blender-process until smooth. Add to tomato mixture. Stir in cooked rice, spinach, HALF of swiss, salt & pepper.
- Lightly grease (olive oil pam works well) an 8x8-inch or 9x9-inch casserole. Spoon in mixture & top w/ remaining cheese & a Tbsp or 2 of sesame seeds.
- Bake, uncovered at 350°F for 30-40 minute.