Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a healthy and filling dish. I like it mainly because it is easy to prepare and serves the purpose of a hassle free main course. Great dish to serve at get togethers too.
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups chopped spinach
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Heat butter on low heat and add rice, milk and salt and cook for 1 minute.
- Heat the oil and fry cumin seeds until they begin to crackle.
- Add onion and fry for 1 minute.
- Then add the green chilli and fry for some time.
- Add spinach and salt and cook till spinach is soft.
- Spread spinach at the bottom of a greased jelly mould.
- Spread the rice on top.
- Press well and cover.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes at 400°F.
- While serving, invert on a plate and serve with hot cream of tomato soup ro any other thick soup.
We loved this dish! We used uncle ben's wild rice, so we cooked that separately (according to the directions on the box) from the spinach mixture, and then put them together to bake. It turned out excellent, and is a dish that we can't wait to make again!!
This was very, very good! Because in step 7 you'd mentioned spreading the rice on top of the spinach I assumed that after step 1 the rice should be put to one side. Rather than a main dish I cooked a smaller amount as a base for a salmon dish and it is great with seafood.
I don't have a jelly mould that can go in the oven, so after step 5, I simply mixed all the ingredients together and put them in a covered casserole dish in the oven for 10 minutes. I used baby spinach leaves (one of my staple ingredients) and 1 sweet red pepper instead of the chilie pepper (personal taste preference), and I added 4 cloves of chopped garlic to the onion. The cumin gave this a delicious aroma and flavour. An easy to make dish which we all enjoyed.