Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This comes from my favourite cookbook: Three bowls by Seppo Ed Farrey and Myochi Nancy O'Hara. It makes a great side dish and any leftovers fry up with some tofu very well indeed. The instructions are given as in the book but I have included my own method for a rice cooker.
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups short grain brown rice or 2 cups brown basmati rice
- 1 pinch salt (optional)
- 10 ounces frozen spinach
- Rinse the rice well until the water runs clear.
- Place the olive oil, tamari and mirin along with enough water to make 4 cups in a pan and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling add the rice, cover and simmer for 50 mins until rice is tender.
- For rice cookers place the liquid ingredients and the water in the cooker and turn on the cooker. Once it is bubbling add the rice and allow it to finish the cycle.
- Once the rice is cooked bring 1/2 cup water to the boil and add the spinach. Simmer for 5 mins and drain well.
- Mix the spinach into the rice and serve.