Recipe by Linda Eden
A healthy, protein-rich variation of Spinach Soup using a Vita Mix or blender. Absolutely delicious with no bitterness. Easily modified for vegetables you like or have readily on hand. Quinoa is a very healthy grain that counts as a protein, rather than just carbs!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 raw carrot, cut into chunks
- 1 cup celery rib, cut into chunks
- 10 ounces fresh spinach leaves or 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked in 2 cups of water until water absorbed (approx 10-15 minutes)
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 dash salt & pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Briefly steam fresh spinach approx 5 min, until wilted & tender. Cook quinoa in seperate saucepan until liquid absorbed, approx 10-15 minute Saute garlic and onion in small pan with butter or olive oil until onion is clear & tender.
- In Vita Mix or blender, puree carrots & celery. Add tender onion & garlic and spinach. Puree all together. Add cooked quinoa and process on high until quinoa is liquified. May need to use a small amount of the chicken stock in Vita Mix or blender.
- In large soup pot combine remaining chicken stock and spinach, vegetable & onion puree, and quinoa puree. Heat until warm.
- (If needed, return portions of the spinach, vegetable, quinoa and chicken stock to Vita Mix to puree further. Fill Vita Mix container or blender container only 1/2 full at a time--be sure lid is on tightly so hot soup does not splash out at you! Process on high until soup is frothy and creamy.).