Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Real men do eat quiche.
- 1 pie crust
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thaw and squeeze out all excess water (important)
- 1 cup frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese or 1 cup colby-monterey jack cheese
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Blind bake pie crust until barely browned and remove from oven.
- Melt butter in small saute pan.
- Add onions and cook just until translucent.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese.
- Add eggs, yolks, milk and heavy cream to cream cheese and mix thoroughly.
- Add onions, spinach, broccoli, mushrooms and cheese to cream cheese mixture.
- Mix thoroughly and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into pie crust and bake for 55-60 minutes.
- Cover edges of crust with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning.
- Center will be set but slightly jiggly when quiche is done.
- Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
This turned out really well for me, and it was my first attempt at making a quiche. I did saute the mushrooms with the onions a bit, though.
Great, basic quiche recipe. I liked the broccoli/spinach combo and, surprisingly, so did the kids! Thank you.