Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is another great recipe from my recipe binders. It is very tasty and great on a chilly evening.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and undrained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄4 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1 cup low-fat chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 3⁄4 cup shredded provolone cheese (3 oz.)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Puree spinach in food processor.
- Saute onion, carrot, celery and red pepper in butter in a large, heavy saucepan.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Cook, stirring constantly 2 minutes.
- Gradually add milk and chicken broth; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in spinach, salt, nutmeg, and lemon-pepper.
- Cook until thoroughly heated.
- Sprinkle each serving evenly with probolone cheese and crumbled bacon.
Great tasting soup! It is delicious with a unique flavor and made for a wonderful evening meal. We absolutely loved this soup, I can't wait for spring to be making this with freshly picked spinach from the vegetable garden Great recipe Bev!