Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
You will find this appetizer easy to make, delicious and attractive, serving it either warm from the oven or at room temperature.
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup prepared basil pesto
- 5 ounces cooked spinach, chopped (you can use 1/2 package of frozen spinach, well drained)
- 3⁄4 cup roasted red pepper, drained and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a very large paking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the pastry to an 11 inch square.
- Spread the basil pesto on the puff pastry; top with spinach and roasted red peppers.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan, then cover evenly with prosciutto or ham pressing lightly with your fingers.
- Beginning on the right side of the pastry, roll up tightly into a spiral, but STOP IN THE MIDDLE.
- Do the same on the left side, rolling the pastry until you get to the middle where the two rolls with meet.
- Carefully, using a serrated knife in a sawing motion, cut the roll crosswise into 1/2 inch slices.
- Place the slices on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and 1 tablespoon water and brush this mixture over the pastry slices.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until puffed and browned.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- You can make these spirals ahead of time by baking them, then allowing to cool. Layer the cooled spirals between waxed paper in an air tight container and freeze for up to 1 month. Place the frozen spirals on baking sheet and bake about 8 minutes.
SO very Christmasy!Very festive looking and the taste is devine. A winner.