Recipe by HOUSEMANAGER (Charlene)
After reading a recipe posted by Vicky Henry in Taste of Home magazine I was inspired to create these tasty meat pies with a few modifications. These little handheld "porkovers" are great fresh out of the oven but they also lend themselves well to freezing and re-heating in the microwave.
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 (6 ounce) cupsshredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- salt and pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) loaf frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 egg white, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- COOK sausage, onion and garlic in a skillet over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- STIR in spinach, cheese, mustard, marjoram, salt and pepper; stir until cheese is melted; remove from heat; cool slightly.
- SLICE bread dough into eight portions; roll each out into a 6 inch circle; spoon about ½ cup meat mixture on half of each circle.
- BRUSH edges of dough with egg white; fold dough over filling and press edges to seal (Use a fork to flute edges if desired).
- PLACE on greased baking sheets; cover and let rise for 20 minutes; brush tops with remaining egg white; cut slits in the top of each turnover.
- BAKE at 350 F for 20 minutes or until golden brown; serve at once or freeze for a later date.