Recipe by Kitchen Witch Steph
Pretty and delicious! ...and I'm not normally a spinach lover, so that says a lot! Made with sheets of puff pastry, these are very easy to put together. You can make them up in advance and freeze them to pull out for a quick appetizer for company. Found this recipe in Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion magazine.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup Fontina cheese, chopped
- 1 (17 1/3 ounce) package frozen puff pastry
- 2 -3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook spinach according to directions on package. Drain well. (I usually skip this step and add the spinach in to sauté after the onion has softened).
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Melt butter in skillet. Add chopped onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat until softened. Remove from heat and add add spinach, parsley, salt, and pepper to taste. Cool. Mix in mustard and cheese. (I put in fontina and parmesan at this step).
- While spinach is cooling, take pastry out of package and let defrost.
- Lay pastry out on lightly floured board. Gently roll out dough, then cut lengthwise into 5 X 11-inch sections.
- Divide spinach mixture into fourths and spread to the edges of the pastry.
- Starting at the long ends, roll up the dough encasing spinach mixture.
- Using serrated knife, cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- (If baking immediately, lay on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and flatten slightly.
- Brush slices lightly with egg wash. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 10 minutes on one side. Turn over and bake for 5 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly on rack before serving.
- To freeze: Proceed through step 8. Place on baking sheet in freezer until firm. Remove pinwheels and place in freezer bag. These will keep for a couple of weeks.
- When ready to serve, brush frozen pinwheels with egg wash, sprinkle with Parmesan, and proceed as in step 11 baking for an extra 5 minutes.