Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love spinach as you can see! :) So try different stuff with it as I buy a whole load of the green when I go shopping. My family complains as spinach will appear on the menu in different forms for days together. But those are my days then and I AM providing them with good nutrition am I not !!!! This recipe is adapted from a recipe I got online. Enjoy!
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons cilantro
- salt and pepper, to taste and any other seasoning of your choice powders or herbs
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (I use cheddar mostly)
- 275 g pizza dough
- 1 eggs, beaten or 1 tablespoon egg substitute or 1 tablespoon milk, if you are vegetarian
- In a nonstick skillet heat oil;and cook the onion and garlic over medium-high heat, stirring now and then until onions turn translucent.
- Add spinach, parsley, seasoning, and red pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until spinach is heated through.
- Season to taste.
- Take off the fire and let it lower in temperature.
- Then stir in the cheese.
- Preheat oven to 425 F/220 C.
- Roll pizza dough into a 16x12 inches rectangle.
- Spread the spinach mixture evenly over dough, leaving a 1 1/2 inch border around edge of dough.
- Roll dough over spinach from the 12 inch side of the rectangle, to enclose filling; seal the edges by pressing dough together.
- Grease nonstick baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and arrange roll, seam side down, on sheet.
- Brush egg/egg substitute/milk over roll and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- (Bake sesame seeds over the rolls for a change before baking.) Cut roll into 20 equal slices.
This was so good! I did make a few changes. I used crescent roll dough. I only used half the spincach because there wasn't quite as much dough. I also added more cheddar cheese. I used parsley and didn't use the egg wash, just brushed milk on it. Delicious! Thanks Fay!
Yummy! I used refrigerated pizza dough in a tube. Usually I won't go near the stuff, but for this recipe it worked very well. I did not use the red pepper or fresh herbs, but I used a generous shake of Italian seasoning. Dh wants me to add some mushrooms next time. I used fresh parmesean and it was excellent! Flaky and tasty; very upscale tasting. Thanks!!