Recipe by Pali's Favorites
This is the spinach mixture used to make spinach pies that use the basic dough recipe I have posted. These are absolutely delicious, especially with soup. Excellent dish for Ramadan, either suhr or uftur! **The preparation time doesn't include the time it takes to make the dough.
Top Review by Um Safia
Made & reviewed for Ramadan Tag in the NA*ME Forum. I made just this recipe (as I already had some homemade dough left over from previous pies!) This filling is beautiful, pefectly spiced & well balanced. We all loved the finished pies! Thanks so much for a delicious recipe....Ramadan Mubarak :)
- 2 lbs spinach
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sumac
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash spinach, chop, and sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 15 minutes, then squeeze out the excess water.
- Mix with all the ingredients and set aside.
- Using the basic dough recipe that I have posted, take the 2 1/2" balls of dough and roll out to 4" circles (more like squares with rounded edges).
- Put a heaping tablespoon of spinach filling on each circle.
- Fold up from the bottom to the middle, and bring in sides to center to form triangle. (If you put one corner in front of you, then you would fold down the top corner, and bring in the sides, and you should have a triangle).
- Press down seams firmly and pinch ends together.
- Grease pan and place pies on the pan (seams down) and brush the tops with olive oil.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F oven until pies are golden brown. (I have a older gas stove, and had to turn my oven to about 325°F in order for the top and bottom to cook evenly, so adjust the temperature according to your oven).