Prep 2 hrs
Cook 35 mins
I picked out this wonderful recipe from the Thursday magazine. Hope you enjoy it!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon fresh yeast
- 100 g melted butter or 100 g ghee
For the filling
- 1⁄2 kg fresh spinach, washed,stems discarded and leaves chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled,washed and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 3 green chilies, washed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 -4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Sprinkle the yeast over 1/4 cup of warm water and stir until dissolved.
- Add it to the flour.
- Add the butter and knead gently until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl and is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a oiled bowl.
- Cover and leave for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chopped leaves with a little salt.
- Squeeze all the liquid from the spinach leaves with your hands.
- Mix the squeezed spinach with onions, cumin, green chillies, salt to taste and lemon juice.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Make 10-15 balls from the dough.
- Roll each ball into a circle.
- Place about 1 tbsp.
- of spinach mixture in the centre of each dough circle and moisten the edges with water.
- Lift dough at 3 points along the circumference of the circle, the same distance apart and pull up to join in the centre, to form a pyramid.
- Seal the edges by pinching together.
- Place on a greased tray and bake in a preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm for breakfast or as a snack in the evening.