Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
My good friend Laura made these pies for us at a girls' movie night at her house. They were delicious! Easy to prepare, you can make them ahead of time, as they are served at room temperature.
- 2 unbaked 9-inch pie shells
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups minced yellow onions
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, chopped & thawed
- 6 eggs
- 2 (15 ounce) containers cottage cheese, small curd
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Prick pie shells all over with a fork and bake 15 minutes until lightly browned. (Laura skips this step if using frozen pie shells.).
- In skillet, melt butter, add onion and cook until soft.
- Squeeze spinach to remove excess water. Add spinach to onion and toss over heat until water evaporates. Remove from heat.
- Mix remaining ingredients in bowl. Add spinach/onion mixture and mix until it resembles green and white "marble.".
- Divide mixture evenly into two pie shells. Reduce oven temperature to 350 and bake about 45 minutes (variable).
- Cool pies to room temperature and serve.
Made this as part of a special dinner for guests ... without trying it first ... and it was a success. Truly it was the dish most enjoyed and it past the real test: they asked for the recipe ... and made it within the week at their own own home for a special dinner for guests. Thank you so much for the recipe.