Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
adapted from Hometown Cooking.
Make and share this Spinach Pie With Sun-Dried Tomatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (9 inch) double crust pie crusts, unbaked (2 rounds)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup asiago cheese, finely grated
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained very well
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, drained, coarsley chopped
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with one crust round.
- Beat one of the eggs with a fork and use a pastry brush to lightly brush egg over the pie crust (you might not need all of the egg- save the rest for brushing the top crust later).
- Beat remaining eggs in a large bowl, using a whisk.
- Add cheese, pepper, and basil and stir to combine.
- Add spinach (make sure it has been drained very well- squeezed over a colander to get out all the freezer moisture), as well as the bread crumbs and tomatoes.
- Pour filling into crust and top with the second crust round.
- Fold edges under to seal and crimp or flute edges as desired.
- Brush with remaining egg wash.
- Cut a few slits in the top crust and bake in a preheated 375 F oven for 25 minutes.
- Cover edges with a ring of foil or a pie sheild, then continue baking another 20 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack at least 15 minutes before attempting to slice.
I love things like this made ahead and served cold for a picnic, instead of a sandwich---this recipe has earned a place in my permanent file! For a party, a nice variation is to make tiny individual bite-sized "pielings" in a mini-muffin tin. Good job, HeatherFeather!
Last time I've substituted spinach for one bell pepper, and it was even better then with the spinach! I've made it a few times already, and the regular version with the spinach is a hit with my 9 y.o. son. The only way he eats spinach is in this pie. Thanks for the recipe!!
This is wonderful! I used home-grown spinach, my own oven dried tomatoes and made the pastry. It is really colorful and full of flavor, the leftovers are really good cold. This is one of those dishes that you can make again and again.