Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I submitted this recipe to Southern Living Magazine and they printed it. It's great for a holiday side dish.
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 12 ounces muenster cheese, slices
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese (or regular)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- pimiento strips or chopped tomato (I never do but looks nice, OPT)
- Drain spinach well, pressing between layers of paper towels (or whatever) and set aside.
- Cut 2-3 cheese slices into small triangles, and reserve for garnish.
- Cover bottom and sides of a lightly greased 9 or10-inch pieplate with remaining Muenster slices, overlapping cheese as needed.
- Combine spinach, onion and next 5 ingredients.
- Spoon into cheese-lined pieplate.
- Bake 350 for 45 minutes or until set.
- Cool 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with reserved cheese triangles and pimiento strips, if desired.
Fantastic recipe. What a nice change for an early dinner meal. I served it with fresh sliced tomatos.
This recipe was good and very well received, but the cheese crust made it too greasy. I would make it again, but I would use a regular crust with perhaps one layer of cheese.
This was really yummy and very easy to make. And if your on a low carb diet, this is for you.