Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
an old recipe from a health co-op, great tasting and good for you!! So simple to prepare! Works great w/egg beaters too - if you prefer that alternative. great as a breakfast or dinner, hot or cold
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup grated swiss cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) packagechopped spinach, cooked & drained
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Mix together first 3 ingredients (rice, egg, swiss) and spread evenly in a greased 9" pie plate making a crust- do not bake.
- Mix together remaining ingredients until well blended.
- Fill pie plate and bake 35- 45 minutes or until firm at 350 degrees.
I always use this crust for quiche. We all love it. I frequently make a spinach quiche in it with a few mushrooms added--yum!
While it turned out better than I had anticipated, I was still luke-warm about the rice-based pie crust and would probably try the recipe again in a flour-based pie crust. The filling was delicious, however! I made a few modifications to the filling: only used 2 eggs instead of 3, added 1/4 cup of swiss, added a little salt and nutmeg.
This is very good. I liked it served at room temperature. I made a tweak: To the spinach, I added the juice and zest of a medium-size lemon, giving it a Mediterranian flare. I had to use white rice because I was out of brown. Since this is so easy to make, and I think fool-proof, I'll make this often. I want to try the rice crust with other fillings like south western, or summer veggies. Thanks!