Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
here is another recipe that has never been written down anywhere in my family. This is a great pie to experiment with, by trying different cheeses, or toppings. The crust used for the pie, can make a great crust for many different savory pies. please fill free to try different spices and cheeses, and give me feedback! Im always looking for ways to improve this recipe.
- 1 cup soft butter or 1 cup margarine (about 200g)
- 2 1⁄2 cups self rising flour
- 8 ounces nonfat sour cream or 8 ounces plain yogurt
- 1 lb prewashed Baby Spinach, cook covered over low heat,about 5 min,strain well and squeeze the water out.
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated romano cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated edam cheese or 1⁄4 cup another hard cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fat free sour cream
- 2 eggs
- salt (optional)
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
- prepare crust by mixing the ingredients together by hand to make a smooth dough.
- keep in the refrigerator until the filling is ready.
- Preheat oven to 350, butter a 9X13 pan.
- prepare the filling: If using green onion, Cook the green onion in the butter/margarine over low heat until softened by not completely cooked.
- After spinach is cooked and VERY WELL drained, mix all the filling ingrediets together in a large bowl, adding the sauteed green onions.
- Taste the filling, and add seasonsing to taste.
- Remove crust from the refrigerator.
- Press 2/3 of dough into the prepared pan (9X13).
- pour the prepared filling on top of the dough.
- roll the remaining dough between your palms into strips and lay over the filling back and forth (make lattice).
- Sprinkle pie with parmesan and sesame seeds.
- Bake for at approximately 35-40 minutes in 350 degree oven until golden brown.