Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mmmm. This is really good.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- coarse salt and pepper
- 6 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed and thinly sliced
- Make the filling: In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and 2 teaspoons salt; cook until garlic is tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl; stir in spinach, feta, Parmesan, breadcrumbs, dill, 2 teaspoons salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Fold in eggs until combined.
- Divide mixture evenly between two 9-inch springform pans or two 9 ½-inch deep-dish pie plates; press firmly to flatten.
- Make the topping: In a large bowl, gently toss sliced phyllo to separate, then toss with remaining ½ cup oil until coated.
- Divide phyllo between pies, covering the tops evenly and completely. (To freeze, cover pies tightly with plastic wrap, being careful not to flatten topping. Bake within 3 months; do not thaw first.)
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake until heated through and topping is golden brown, about 1 hour 15 minutes for frozen pie (30 minutes for unfrozen pie).