Recipe by Take a Letter Maria
I got this recipe from a book years ago but have changed it so much I consider it mine. I am always asked to bring this dish to family functions. If you love spinach and cheese you will love this recipe.
Top Review by L. Ewing
This is pretty good. Most went back for 2nds and 3rds. Personally next time I make it I'll "season" it more. I only used 3 eggs (all I had), and I still thought it was good...so if you are watching FAT, etc... that is an option.
- 1 (8 ounce) package phyllo dough, thawed (usually come two to box, use only one package)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 8 ounces feta cheese (or more if you like)
- 24 ounces small curd cottage cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 3 -5 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dill (dry or fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup chives
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter bottom and sides of 9x13x2 inch baking dish or spray with Pam.
- Squeeze the liquid out of the spinach and place in a large bowl.
- Add all other ingredients, except the phyllo dough and the butter, and mix well.
- Brush about 4-5 sheets of the phyllo dough with melted butter and place in bottom of pan, do this until you have used approximately 3/4 of the phyllo.
- Pour the spinach mix into the pan on top of the bottom layer of dough smooth out the spinach mixture with back of spoon.
- Brush 4-5 sheets of the phyllo dough with melted butter and place on top of the spinach mixture. Do this until you have used all the phyllo.
- With a serated knife score the top layer of the dough into squares.
- Place pan in preheated oven and bake for 1 hour.
- After baking for 1 hour remove from oven let rest 10 minutes and then cut the spinach pie all the way through. Let rest about 5-6 more minutes and serve.