Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
A savory and delicious spinach pie.
- 2 lbs spinach
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 6 spring onions, chopped
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 16 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- Preheat the oven to hot 415*. Brush a 12x10-inch baking dish with oil. Wash the spinach thoroughly and shred finely. Place in a large pan with just the water clinging to the leaves, cover and cook over low heat for 2 minutes, or until just wilted. Cool, then wring the moisture from the spinach and spread out the strands.
- Heat the oil in a small pan and cook the spring onion for 3 minutes, or until soft. Transfer to a large bowl and add the spinach, cheeses and eggs. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Place 1 sheet of pastry in the baking dish, letting the edges hang over. Cover the remaining pastry with a clean, damp tea towel to prevent it from drying out. Brush the pastry in the dish with some of the oil. Repeat the process with another 7 layers of pastry, brushing each sheet lightly with oil.
- Spread the filling over the pastry and fold in the edges. Brush each remaining sheet of pastry lightly with oil and place over the top of the pie. Tuck the edges of the pastry down the sides, brush the top with the egg and sprinkle with the poppy seeds. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden. Serve immediately.