1 hr 25 mins
Another great Barefoot Contessa recipe by Ina Garten. "This is like the Greek spanakopita but with a lot more of that great filling. If you want to make this ahead of time, keep it wrapped in the refrigerator, and then serve it at room temperature or reheated."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 6 extra-large eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons dry plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 lb feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (pignoli)
- 1/4 lb salted butter, melted
- 6 sheets phyllo dough, defrosted
- 1Preheat the over to 375 degrees.
- 2In a medium saute pan on medium heat, saute the onions with the olive oil until translucent and slightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the salt and pepper and allow to cool slightly.
- 3Squeeze out and discard as much of the liquid from the spinach as possible. Put the spinach into a bowl and then gently mix in the onions, egg, nutmeg, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, feta and pignoli.
- 4Butter an ovenproof, non-stick, 8-inch saute pan and line it with 6 stacked sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each with melted butter and letting the edges hang over the pan.
- 5Pour the spinach mixture into the middle of the phyllo and neatly fold the edges up and over the top to seal in the filling.
- 6Brush the top well with melted butter.
- 7Bake for 1 hour, until the top is golden brown and the filling is set.
- 8Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Pie
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 616.2
- Calories from Fat 412
- Total Fat 45.8 g
- Saturated Fat 20.3 g
- Cholesterol 290.1 mg
- Sodium 1572.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 25.2 g