Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
The layers of this low-fat phyllo pastry are coated with a mixture of egg whites and olive oil instead of melted butter.
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C). Saute onions in chicken broth until broth has evaporated.
- Stir flour into milk until dissolved.
- Add to onions and stir constantly over medium heat until thickened.
- Blend in cheese until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in spinach.
- Beat 6 egg whites until frothy and blend into cheese mixture. Pour into a deep casserole dish brushed with olive oil.
- Whisk together remaining egg white and the olive oil.
- Blend well.
- Cut sheets of phyllo pastry in half.
- Top the casserole with one piece of phyllo pastry.
- Brush with egg white mixture. Continue layering phyllo sheets, brushing each with the mixture. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
Wonderful! Like that it is made low fat but still has plenty of flavor with a nice crunchy top. Made using 1/2 an onion and no chicken broth. Also used fat free cheddar cheese and fresh spinach. Made a nice lunch served with sliced tomatoes and fallowed by a nice fruit salad. Thanks for the post.
This was my first time working with phyllo pastry. Was a little worried at first but this was easy to put together and tasted so good. I used frozen spinach that I thawed in the microwave and let drain. Next time I will add some chopped tomatoes too. A definite keeper!
I made this again and figured out the Weight Watcher points for it. I also ommited the olive oil by using olive oil spray. The TOTAL dish is 22 points. Divide it in 2 for a hefty dinner...or in 4 and have some salmon on the side!!