Recipe by Julesong
The layers of this low-fat phyllo pastry are coated with a mixture of egg whites and olive oil instead of melted butter.
Top Review by Debbwl
Wonderful! Like that it is made low fat but still has plenty of flavor with a nice crunchy top. Made using 1/2 an onion and no chicken broth. Also used fat free cheddar cheese and fresh spinach. Made a nice lunch served with sliced tomatoes and fallowed by a nice fruit salad. Thanks for the post.
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth, defatted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 8 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 10 ounces fresh spinach or 10 ounces frozen spinach, cooked, drained and chopped
- 7 egg whites
- 3 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C). Saute onions in chicken broth until broth has evaporated.
- Stir flour into milk until dissolved.
- Add to onions and stir constantly over medium heat until thickened.
- Blend in cheese until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in spinach.
- Beat 6 egg whites until frothy and blend into cheese mixture. Pour into a deep casserole dish brushed with olive oil.
- Whisk together remaining egg white and the olive oil.
- Blend well.
- Cut sheets of phyllo pastry in half.
- Top the casserole with one piece of phyllo pastry.
- Brush with egg white mixture. Continue layering phyllo sheets, brushing each with the mixture. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes.