Recipe by Jan Waters
A salad recipe that is really a keeper for those who like to mix bold flavors! Served it last night to guests that were still talking about it when we served dessert...enjoy!
Top Review by Chabear01
I made this with De Anjou pears, madarine oranges, small pear tomatoes, red onion rings, and instead of Goat Cheese a nice Blue Cheese and omitted the bacon. Made the dressing as per the recipe. It was made for a very special friends Birthday dinner, and I gotta tell you not only did it receive raves from him, but was requested for the next nights dinner salad, and his lunch the next day!!! I have to tell you this is one fantastic salad and the dressing is to die for, Thank You so very much for posting this super delicious recipe.
- 8 pieces smoked bacon, reserve grease (fried crispy)
- 4 ounces spinach, Fresh Baby Spinach (stems removed)
- 2 fresh pears, sliced, or bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup fresh blueberries (optional)
- 1⁄4 bunch fresh mint leaves, torn
- 2 ounces goat cheese, soft, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 8 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons bacon grease, reserved
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry smoked bacon to cripsy stage. Remove from skillet, let cool and reserve grease for dressing; Wash and Plate Spinach (remove stems); Wash and slice pears (using red pears will add color) - arrange over the bed of spinach; Add Blueberries if desired; Tear mint leaves and add to the plates; Crumble the crispy bacon and goat cheese over top. Dressing is simple -- Add vinegar, dijon mustard and honey to blender, mix well. With blender set on low speed, add bacon grease, and add EVOO slowly to emulsify dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste' mix well on high for the last couple of minutes. Drizzle on salad, and serve.