Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Adapted from Sephardic Spinach Patties from Olive Trees and Honey.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 20 ounces spinach, thawed from frozen and squeezed dry
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- lemon wedge, for serving
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and, if using, the garlic and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the spinach, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and, if using, the nutmeg. Stir in the eggs. If the mixture is too loose, add a little more bread crumbs. The mixture can be stored in the refrigerator for a day.
- Shape the spinach mixture into patties. In a large skillet, heat a thin layer of oil over medium heat. In batches, fry the patties, turning, until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm, accompanied with lemon wedges.