Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
I had some left over spinach filling after making spanakopitas, but no phyllo dough. So, I made these with my favorite pie pastry dough. I did most of it without measurements,so feel free to adjust to your personal taste.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups shortening
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons dried dill
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- for the dough:.
- Combine flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in a bowl.
- Cut chilled shortening into bits andf cut into dough until it forms pea-sized clumps.
- Combine the water, egg, and vinegar in a measuring cup. Stir into flour mixture lightly with a fork, tossing to combine.
- Gather dough into four balls, flatten into discs and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in freezer while preparing filling.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Saute onion over medium-low heat until fragrant and translucent. Combine with the rest of filling ingredients in a large bowl.
- Unroll chilled dough one portion at a time on a lightly floured surface. Roll flat into a 9x11 inch rectangle. Cut in half width-wise.
- Take a handful of filling (about 1/3-1/2 cup) and place it on one end of each rectangle, leaving a half-inch border on all sides. Fold dough over and pinch seams, wetting if necessary to seal. Crimp edges with forks.
- place on parchment-lined baking sheets that have also been sprayed with cooking spray. Brush top of dough with eggwhites (optional, but makes the crust flakey and shiny) Place in oven.
- Cook for 12 minutes at 425 degrees, then reduce temp to 375 degrees, then continue to bake for 10-15 minutes, or until dough is lightly brown on top.
- Remove from oven, cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to plates. Serve with Tzatziki sauce, or even marinara (whatever suites you!).