Recipe by berry271
Found in the December/January 1996 issue of Taste of Home, submitted by Margaret Allen.
- 4 slice bacon
- 680.38 g bulk mild Italian sausage
- 2 large carrots
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 709.77 ml sliced fresh mushrooms
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes
- 425.24 g can tomato sauce
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 118.29 ml beef broth
- 3.69 ml anise seed
- 3.69 ml salt
- 3.69 ml pepper
- 3.69 ml garlic powder
- 3.69 ml brown sugar
- 3.69 ml dried basil
- 3.69 ml dried oregano
- 2 (907.18 g) package pasta
- fresh spinach, coarsely chopped to equal 4 cups
- 473.18 ml shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon, cool, crumble and set aside.
- Brown sausage in a Dutch oven and drain.
- Peel and chop carrots.
- Chop pepper and onion.
- Add carrots, pepper, onion, and mushrooms to the sausage and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add next 11 ingredients, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the package directions, and drain.
- Add spinach to the sauce and heat through.
- Serve over the pasta and top with mozzarella and bacon.