Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Found in the December/January 1996 issue of Taste of Home, submitted by Margaret Allen.
Make and share this Spinach Pasta Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bulk mild Italian sausage
- 2 large carrots
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 3⁄4 teaspoon anise seed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (16 ounce) packages pasta
- fresh spinach, coarsely chopped to equal 4 cups
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook bacon, cool, crumble and set aside.
- Brown sausage in a Dutch oven and drain.
- Peel and chop carrots.
- Chop pepper and onion.
- Add carrots, pepper, onion, and mushrooms to the sausage and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add next 11 ingredients, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the package directions, and drain.
- Add spinach to the sauce and heat through.
- Serve over the pasta and top with mozzarella and bacon.