Recipe by cadiza
This is Bal Arneson's recipe with her usual healthier take on an Indian classic. The only difficult part about this recipe, is finding the chickpea flour,and fenugreek leaves.I found everything I needed in a local Indian specialty store-and by the way I now use the chick pea flower all of the time!! A $ saving time saving tip: Garam Masala is a mix of Indian Spices and very useful in Indian cooking.While the completely prepared Garma Masala is still tasty, Bal Arenson and many other Indian cooks recommend grinding and mixing your own for the true flavor punch!! But buying over different 10 Indian spices, some of them hard to find, can be expensive and time consuming for someone who doesn't cook Indian all the time! So I found a solution at the Indian food store: They have prepackaged bags of all the whole spices that go into Garam Masala.(Cost less the $ 2!!!) You just take it home and grind in you spice grinder and you get all the benefits of having home ground Garam with out spending all the money and Time!
Top Review by ChloeBaby
These were fantastic! They were incredibly easy to make, I can't believe I spent so much time buying them before. I've made them 3 times in the past week already - the kids will actually willingly eat spinach if it's like this. I couldn't find fenugreek though..... I'll have to look the next time I'm in the city. Still great, and I'll be making these a lot! Thank you so much for posting!
- 2 cups frozen spinach, thawed and water squeezed out
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek leaves
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ginger, powdered (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 3 ounces mango chutney
- Mix all ingredients except oil and chutney together until well combined.
- Form into small balls that are about half the size of a golf ball.
- Put oil in a non stick skillet over medium high heat. Load the pan up with the pakoras, they can touch- but dont overcrowd!
- Brown on all sides.
- Serve with Mango Chutney( don't skip this part).