Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a quick easy dish that's a nice change from lasagna that goes well with a side salad.
Make and share this Spinach Orzo Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Cook orzo according to directions and drain.
- Combine eggs, orzo, 1/2 c spaghetti sauce and parmesan cheese.
- Spray a 9" deep pie plate. The "crust" will be thick.
- Spread orzo mixture over pie plate and up the sides.
- Cook spinach and drain.
- In another bowl, combine spinach, cottage cheese and nutmeg.
- Spoon into pie plate.
- Spread remaining sauce over top.
- Cover the edge of the pie plate with foil.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella and bake 5 minutes more.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Very tasty! As is, I give the recipe a 4 out of 5. Next time I will saute the spinach with some garlic and onions and add the cottage cheese right before I take the mixture off the heat. I think that extra step recommended by other reviewers will give it that extra bit of depth and make the recipe 5 stars! Also, used just over a 1/2 cup of raw orzo and the crust was great!
Wow did we ever love this recipe...I had no problem with it being watery...but I did let the spinach sit in a strainer after cooking and I only used a 15 oz. can of spaghetti sauce...it was perfect and a real hit. We are looking forward to the leftovers tonite!
This was great! I tweaked it a little to my liking. I only did one cup raw orzo which was probably still a little too much. I sauteed some chopped onions, green peppers, and minced garlic and added it to the spinach...it was excellent! I will definitely use this recipe again! Yum!