Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the ExtraVeganZa Cookbook
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium yams, thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, grated
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 3 cups water
- 1 bunch fresh spinach
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- In a medium pot, fry the onion, yams, garlic and gingerroot in the oil on medium-low heat.
- Stir the ingredients so that they do not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- When the onions become translucent, stir in the salt, dill and water.
- Bring to boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Blend this mixture on high until a creamy and smooth consistency is reached.
- You may need to do this in two, depending on the size of your blender.
- Pour all of the blended soup back into the pot.
- Add the spinach and orange juice, and cover the soup, allowing the spinach to wilt in the steam.
- Serve immediately.