Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A good recipe when you're watching your weight. It's still got loads of flavour though,
Make and share this Spinach, Olive and Chilli Tomato Sauce for Pasta recipe from Food.com.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion
- 2 1⁄2 cups ripe tomatoes (you could use canned)
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 -2 small chile, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (I use 1 tablespoon fresh)
- black pepper
- 40 g kalamata olives, pits removed and chopped
- 2 cups spinach (wash well and remove the tough stems)
- Heat the oil and cook the garlic and onion gently until the onion is transparent.
- Add the tomatoes, paste, chillies, herbs and pepper and heat stirring until the tomatoes soften and release their juices.
- Add the olives, and heat until the sauce reaches desired consistency.
- Stir through the spinach until warmed through.
- Serve over any pasta you enjoy.
- I sometimes add maybe 200g of chicken breast strips at the stage where you fry the onions.
This was really good, I served it with ravioli that had a pesto and ricotta filling, and I used canned tomato's, and extra garlic, it smelt wonderful and lasted about 5 minutes.
Thanks for sharing this one Jan, it's a keeper!! I forgot to buy the chilies!!, so I added a couple of spoonfuls of homeade hot salsa to the tomatoes, it worked!! Instead of serving over pasta, I added 1 whole chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut in strips as suggested. Turned out great!! Very tastey and good and thick, served it with sourdough bread. A nummmy supper!!
Had this in "my cookbook" for some time....finally made it. Great alternative to heavy sauces. Really good over fresh linguini.