Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
The Six O’Clock Scramble
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 8 ounces mostaccioli pasta or 8 ounces penne
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk or 2 1⁄2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded parmesan cheese, plus
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°; spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Thaw the spinach in the microwave and drain it thoroughly.
- Cook the pasta by following the package directions and drain it.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Add in the onions and garlic; saute them until the onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the flour; cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add the milk; cook mixture until it is bubbly, about 4 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat; stir in ¼ cup of the cheese, the basil, and the oregano.
- In a big bowl, combine the pasta, onion-cheese sauce, 1 cup parmesan cheese, the tomatoes, and the spinach.
- Stir the mixture well; adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed, and spoon it into the baking dish.
- On a small plate, using your fingers or a fork, combine the bread crumbs, the remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese, and the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Sprinkle over the pasta.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until it is thoroughly heated.