Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Nice way to serve spinach and so good for you! The secret is not to overcook the spinach. I like to add a few roasted pine nuts or pumkin seeds with a nice jolt of Marsala wine. I love to serve this recipe with Ginger Yogurt Sauce. Just spoon the sauce over the spinach when it is on the plate MMMmm
- 3 tablespoons lite olive oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb fresh spinach leaves, cleaned and stems removed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- When it is hot but not smoking add onions.
- Saute, stirring constantly, until the onion is carmelized, about 15 min let some of the onion get quite dark and crisp.
- Add spinach, but only for a minute or two, stir until just wilted.
- Add lemon juice and salt& pepper.
Simple and wonderful! I added some extra lemon juice and used plain ol' regular onions. I used this recipe as a filling inside rolled-up rotis for a great, light dinner!
This was really nice... my family loved it (especially my mother, being a spinach fan!). I added some crushed garlic to the onions and it gave a lovely bit of extra flavour, but I'm sure it would be just as nice as is =)
loved this recipe. quick and easy and a wonderful flavor. made exactly as directed. next time i want to add garlic just cause i love garlic even though recipe does not need it. my spinach was way passed the "use by" date and the end result was still delicious.