1 hr 15 mins
Adapted from an Epicurious recipe, this is a rich and flavorful casserole dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 ounces frozen spinach, thawed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (1 medium)
- 5 ounces chopped mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 cups whole wheat bread, cubed (1 inch)
- 3 ounces coarsely grated gruyere (1 cup)
- 1 ounce finely grated parmesan cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1Squeeze liquid from spinach and set aside.
- 2Heat butter over medium heat and cook onion and mushrooms until soft.
- 3Add 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper and nutmeg and cook for one minute.
- 4And spinach, stir, and remove from heat.
- 5In a lightly buttered 1 1/2 to 2 quart casserole, spread one third of the bread cubes across the bottom, then 1/3 of the spinach mixture, then 1/3 of the Gruyere, and 1/3 of the Parmesan.
- 6Continue layering ingredients, finishing with a cheese layer.
- 7Whisk together the milk, eggs, and mustard. Pour evenly over casserole.
- 8Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, until golden brown and puffy in the middle. Casserole can be refrigerated overnight before cooking.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Mushroom Strata
Serving Size: 1 (297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 342.6
- Calories from Fat 212
- Total Fat 23.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 269.3 mg
- Sodium 951.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 21.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole wheat bread