Recipe by TheGrumpyChef
If you love spinach and mushrooms, you are going to love these little rolled-up bundles of flavor. If you don't want to make the Marinara sauce, just substitute your favorite recipe or 32 oz. jarred sauce. From 1001 Low-Fat Recipes.
Top Review by Chef Kate
Delicious! I confess I used full fat cheeses but otherwise followed the recipe, adding a bit of mozzarella scattered over the tops of the rotolo. I served these as a sort of tapas and everyone loved them.
For Marinara Sauce
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (16 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white wine or 1⁄2 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach, washed and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 4 ounces fat free cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked
Directions See How It's Made
- For Marinara:.
- Saute onions and garlic in oil in large saucepan until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, wine, and tomato paste; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until mixture is medium sauce consistency, about 20 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- For Rotolo:.
- Coat large skillet with cooking spray: heat over medium heat until hot.
- Cook mushrooms over medium heat, covered, until they release juices, 3 to 5 minutes. Add spinach, garlic, and herbs to skillet; cook until spinach is wilted 2 to 3 minutes. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until liquid is gone, about 10 minutes. Cool.
- Combine cheeses, salt, and pepper in bowl; stir in mushroom mixture.
- Spread 3 to 4 tbsp cheese mixture on each noodle; roll up and place in baking dish.
- Spoon marinara sauce over rotolo.
- Bake at 350 degrees, loosely coverd with aluminum foil, until rotolo are hot through and sauce is bubbly 25 to 30 minutes.