Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Spinach is not one of my family's preferred vegetables but when made this way, it becomes a very popular dish on the table!
- Cook spinach in a large pan, with just the water clinging to the leaves after washing, for 5 mins.
- Drain thoroughly and chop finely.
- Place in a bowl and add egg yolks, salt and pepper and nutmeg.
- Mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk egg whites until stiff and fold into the spinach.
- Spread the mixture evenly in a lined and greased 12 X 8 inch Swiss roll tin.
- Cook in a preheated moderately hot oven (200C; 400F) for 10 to 15 minutes until risen and firm.
- While the spinach is baking, heat oil in a pan, add the onions and fry till they are soft.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, then gradually stir in the milk.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheese over a sheet of greaseproof paper, turn the baked spinach out onto the paper and peel off the lining paper.
- Spread the filling and roll up like a Swiss roll.
- Serve immediately.