Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
----Flavors entwine for a nice side dish. This is "eye poppin" when served. Looks and tastes fantastic. Very easy to prepare.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded asiago cheese
- Pam cooking spray
- Drain water frm thawed spinach.
- In frying pan, add spinach, mushrooms, stems and pieces, onions,salt, garlic and olive oil.
- Saute until onions are translucent. Set aside.
- In metal mixing bowl, add egg whites and beat until frothy, add cream of tartar and beat until stiff.
- In another mixing bowl, add egg yolks, flour. milk, and cayenne pepper. Beat or wisk until mixed.
- Add spinach, mushroom and onion mixture. Stir. Then fold in shredded cheese.
- Fold in beaten stiff egg whites very gently.
- Preheat oven 375*.
- Spray Pam in a round two quart baking dish.
- Spoon prepared vegetable cheese egg white mixture in baking dish.
- Bake uncovered 35 minutes OR until set in the middle.
This was really good! I cut the spinach back by half to better suit my tastes and I am glad I did. I am not a huge fan of spinach so that brought it to a point that I really enjoyed. I also ended up adding in some cheddar cheese as I was almost out of asiago (about 1/3 cup). It was really good, but I think it would be better with all asiago. This was a great meal for me! I am so impressed that you came up with this! You are a culinary wizard! :)