Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
The walnuts must be toasted for this recipe, to do so place onto a baking sheet, bake at 350 degrees F for about 8-10 minutes until lightly browned, tossing a few times
Top Review by bitch'n kitchen
I knew I would like this I love all the ingredients. I made as directed but didn't measure the spinach, just kept dumping it in till it looked right. It is very flavorful and satisfying. I used chicken broth and felt it added a lot of flavor. Maybe you could use vegetable broth but I wouldn't substitute that if you aren't vegetarian.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted walnuts (can use 3/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped (do not finely mince the garlic)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional and adjust to taste)
- 1⁄2 lb fresh sliced mushrooms (can use more)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained (hand-squeeze dry to remove any excess moisture)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add in onions and sliced mushrooms; cook until tender golden brown (the onions must be browned, this may take about 5-6 minutes or a little more) adding in the chopped garlic and a pinch of cayenne pepper the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Add in the spinach and cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add in chicken broth; bring to a boil stirring constantly.
- Add in uncooked orzo, stir then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the orzo is tender (about 20 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in the walnuts and Parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.