Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Very easy recipe and oh, so delicious. You can add additional vegetables if you like: green beans, potato, peas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 celery, stalks diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, diced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 cup small shell pasta
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, warm oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cover pot. Cook for about 6 minutes or until onion is translucent. Stir frequently. Add a little water or chicken broth if vegetables stick.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken broth, and seasonings. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Uncover and increase heat to medium-high. Add spinach, parsley, and pasta. Cook until pasta is done, about 10 minutes. Add additional chicken broth if too thick.
- Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Makes 8 servings of approximately 1-1/2 cups each.