Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
This recipe provided by Texas Beef Council. It is lean and packed with iron. Baked, not fried and can be frozen.Update: 03/13/2010 Elainemae, a reviewer suggested we use infant's rice cereal instead of breadcrumbs and it serves a dual purpose - increase the iron content. Great idea! :)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (10 ounce) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) jarprepared spaghetti sauce
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine ground beef, spinach, egg, onion powder, garlic powder, bread crumbs, salt & pepper.
- Mix all ingredients well and form into small meatballs.
- Place meatballs on jelly roll pan and place into preheated oven; bake for 40-50 minutes (depending on size of meatballs).
- While meatballs are cooking, prepare pasta according to package directions, drain and keep warm.
- In a large skillet or sauce pan, pour jar of prepared spaghetti sauce.
- When meatballs are fully cooked, remove from oven and place in sauce.
- Simmer on medium heat 6-8 minutes.
- Serve meatballs and sauce over cooked pasta.
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
I made these to have in sub rolls with provolone cheese on top and then baked in the oven till the roll was crunchy and the cheese was melted. We woofed them down and DH says they are a winner so I will certainly make them again!
First of all I have to say I dislike spinach very much,but I was looking for a way to try to get it into my diet.I did a search and came across this recipe and decided to try it, and boy I'm glad I did. :) This recipe was made on 6/28/12. Except for using a 12 ounce package of spinach and a 20 ounce jar of sauce, the recipe was made exactly as it was written. The taste and texture was exactly what I expect in a meatball. Thank you for posting a recipe that has me enjoying spinach for the first time in my life. :) I " WILL " make this again. " Keep Smiling :) "
This was a nice change! Very good too! :) I made minimal changes-I used gluten free bread crumbs and did not add the cheese (I should not have much dairy), did not see the seasonings and add between 1/2 and 3/4 cup of chopped onions. Thank you!