Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Found this in People magazine. From the Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon film The Trip to Italy. Awesome way to make stuffed peppers without rice. These were delicious. Could be served without any sides, but a nice tomato salad would complement it nicely.
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 (6 ounce) bag Baby Spinach
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 3⁄4 cup romano cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 medium bell peppers (any color)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook tomato sauce, parsley, red pepper flakes and 1/3 of garlic in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until boiling. Reduce heat, simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Cook onion and remaining minced garlic in 1 tablespoons hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes until onions begin to turn golden. Add ground meats, cook, stirring often, 6 to 8 minutes or until all pink is gone. Drain well, set aside.
- Wipe skillet clean with a paper towel. Cook spinach in 1 tablespoons hot oil over low heat until wilted. Remove from heat. Stir 1/2 cup cheese, basil and reserved tomato and meat mixtures into spinach.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Drizzle remaining olive oil evenly inside peppers, season with salt and pepper as desired. Spoon meat mixture evenly into peppers and place in a lightly greased baking dish.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle remaining cheese evenly over peppers. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Delicious! Well worth the time and effort to make!